Friday, October 23, 2009

Vet Visit Today

Bre is still dealing with pigeon fever. Her abscess hasn't opened so she has been able to go out in the round pen daily and seems to be dealing with quarantine well. The stable owner has been hot packing her when I can't get out and I have been out there almost every day. I have had a midterm and Anatomy lab last week so I wasn't able to make it out Mon/Tues/Weds and I am really lucky Nancy could take care of her.

I had called the vet Monday to see if I should schedule a day for her to come out and lance Bre's big soft ball on her neck and the vet didn't think it was ready yet. She said if Bre was happy and didn't have other symptoms to let it progress on it's own for the week. She said it didn't sound quite ready to lance and as long as Bre was doing well it would be best to wait. She did say if her health changed I could call them. Yesterday my friends horse had a high fever (we aren't sure what caused his fever) so the vet was out and took a look at Bre too. The vet who came out said Bre look ready to pop. Then later in the day she spiked a fever. When I go there and heard the news I couldn't call fast enough. Her fever was down by the time I was there so we gave her some bute and I scheduled an appointment for today.

I am really looking forward to getting her better. We have been in a holding pattern for so long. I am ready to get to the point where she can actually heal up. She will be stuck in her stall for at least a few days to avoid spreading the bacteria. Luckily she seems to handle stall rest well. She is also really easy to work around in her stall so it won't be too hard to irrigate her wound in the stall.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of Pigeon fever before. Poor baby. I hope that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete